10 Cool things to do with your kids in the Stellenbosch Winelands
The April school holidays are in full swing and it can be hard to entertain your youngsters in new and interesting ways. The Stellenbosch winelands offer many innovative and exciting activities for the young’uns – so give it a try.
Here are 10 cool things to do with your children
- Spier offers a wide variety of activities for kids such as a Grape Juice Tasting. Kids are offered three grape juices and some wine gums while learning about vineyard insects on their colour-in activity sheets. Be sure to visit the Eagle Encounter at Spier where children have the chance to see birds of prey up close and be part of a flight display at the Eagle Encounters. www.spier.co.za
- The DelVera Agri-village on the R44 between Stellenbosch and Klapmuts, is a kids paradise. Children can explore, run around and play on the lawns; they can feed and pet the donkeys before taking a super fun spin on the go-kart track. If this is not exciting enough, go on a horse ride or put your bike skills to the test on the kids bicycle track. www.delvera.co.za
- Middelvlei Wine Estate offers a (non-alcoholic) tasting for children where they will learn to use and test their senses by identify different flavours, textures and tastes just like the adults do in a grownup wine tasting. Outside kids can play in the oversized sandpit, feed the farm animals, ride kick bikes or merely enjoy the extensive spaces.
The little ones can also join in the food fun with a special kiddies snack box, the marshmallow braai and their own stokbrood over the coals will keep them more than happy! www.middelvlei.co.za
- Saddle up and go horse-riding with the Adventure Shop, situated in the Black Horse centre in Stellenbosch or go on an amazing treasure hunt through the streets of Stellenbosch (groups of 10 or more). www.adventureshop.co.za
- Visit the Toy and Miniature Museum - a world of enchantment not to be missed. Amongst the treasured miniature houses, antique dolls, cars, cuddly toys and other things, you can see a detailed and lifelike miniature of South Africa's famous Blue train - the only one of its kind in Africa. Tel: +27 (0)79 981 7067
- Big Cats Park at Vredenheim - meet lion, cheetah, leopard and tiger up close and personal.
- Duck parade at Vergenoegd - The Indian runner ducks are on view as they march off to forage for snails and insects in the vineyards, under the watchful eye of their herder or visit the duck pens and "breeding room" and see what duck farming "looks and feels" like.
- The Giraffe House Wildlife Awareness Centre is a relatively new centre providing easy access to some of our wonderful wildlife and bird species. Focusing on African wildlife, Giraffe House aims to provide a place for people to enjoy a family picnic in the fresh air, whilst experiencing and learning about animals and conservation.
- Butterfly World, situated on the R44 (Klapmuts), you will find a magical world of tropical butterflies, small animals and reptiles.
- Many of the wine farms in and around Stellenbosch, such as Warwick Estate, have special facilites for kids such as play parks, jungle gyms, slides and much more. Warwick also caters for kids with a "junior" gourmet picnic. www.warwickwine.com
For a list of all the kid-friendly farms offering children activities, play areas, etc, please email email@example.com or call 021 886 4310.